Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

I am on doxycycline 100 mg for cellulitis. I am on the seventh

I am on doxycycline 100 mg for cellulitis. I am on the seventh day already and when I woke up today and was spitting I noticed small amount of fresh blood. I know it has to be coming from my upper respiratory I have asthma and was around alot of smoke yesterday which many times has caused this type of reaction in the past and I had to be put on antibiotics. The confusing thing is that I am already on antibiotics so how did this start in the first place? I will repeat this isnt dark red blood or something that hasn't happened to me before.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

Why are you already on antibiotics? And doxycycline is really not an appropriate medication for cellulitis - so this might not help to begin with. What antibiotic are you currently on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am on doxycycline.. I got cellulitis above my eye about seven days ago and I am allergic to bactrum so thats what they gave me.. it has taken away the cellulitis as far as I can tell.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
So, why take doxycycline again - I'm confused
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am on the doxycycline for my cellultis, it is what the doctor prescribed to me because I am allergic to sulfa antiobiotics. I am confused because I thought it was a broad spectrum antiobiotic and used to treat respiratory infections. I woke up this morning with some blood mixed with my spit and I do not understand how I could have developed an infection if I have been on this antiobiotic for days now.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Well, the doxycline is a broad spectrim antibiotic, but does not really cover many of the bacteria for cellulitis and sometimes since doxycycline does NOT cover 'everything' you can have another infection. A better medication for cellulitis that is not sulfa based would be dicloxicillin or keflex. I hope this helps, please take care.