Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

can I take 2 mg xanax after taking 1mg klonopin within 5 h

can I take 2 mg xanax after taking 1mg klonopin within 5 hrs?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you taking these medications for anxiety?
Why do you feel that you need the xanax?
Are you on any other medications?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a heart condition Stent in my RCA. I was diagnosed with anxiety and prescribed 1-2 (1mg) xanax as needed because I would experience arterial spasms. The problem is that I have a high tolerance for meds like morphine etc and only 2mg seems to calm me down. I just feel "normal" not stoned. My cardiologist was not willing to increase my dosage to 2 mg since he said I should take 1-2 as needed. But I would run out before the end of the month. Now my GP prescribed Klonpin. NOT WORKING! I have been taking it for three days 1 mg and my anxiety is soaring and I must take nitro to relieve the spasms. I cant sleep I am beside my self because I don't want to want to harm myself. I also take toprol, and cardazem. I need to relax! Im sorry I ever stated the Klonopin because it is not giving me relief and I have NEVER had to take 5 nitro pills in one day! So, as a result I have increased anxiety. Please help!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Oh, I am so sorry you are going through this.
Are you currently on morphine as well?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I only mentioned that as a reference to my high tolerance when I had my heart attack they needed to give me 10mg before the pain subsided. I suppose thats why I feel "normal after taking 2 mg of xanax when most people would feel sleepy. The xanax was working! Now Im worried to mix the Klonopin and the xanax and my heart is in spasm because of the anxiety right now.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

I wanted to make sure because all of the medications can depress the respiratory system and the central nervous system.

Since you have taken the Klonopin, I would suggest trying 1mg of the xanax first to see if this gives you relief first. If after 30 minutes-45 minutes it has not helped, then you can try the second dose.

But be aware that the two medications in conjunction can cause increased drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, imbalance, decreased respirations. Don't drive or use machinery (I am assuming you are going to sleep anyway).

My biggest concern is that you have used 5 nitroglycerines today and you are stil having pain though. I would consider a trip to the emergency room...

Let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

I hope that you feel better soon,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My cardiologist said that the worst thing that can happen is that I get a headache. So I'm not "worried" about that. I just don't like to use it that often and it seemed to me that the xanax was better and faster relief from the anxiety than the Klonopin. Can I stop taking the Klonopin and just go back to what was working for me? 1-2 (1mg) xanax. BEFORE the spasms start?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Well, if the xanax was working for you then it seems logical that you should continue with it.
That will have to be discussed with your GP, who will be prescribing for you.
Xanax definitely has a faster onset of action.

Dr Abby