Dr. Singer
Dr. Singer, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Family Physician and Surgeon with 25 years of experience in traditional/CAM medicine
12898481

How can you get a false positive urine test for benzos from

Customer Question

How can you get a false positive urine test for benzos from Tylenol PM & they are saying that he has taken xanax. There is a case against him now that we are fighting against & he goes to the county every week to take a pee test and they arrested him for benzodiazepines in his urine so they are acusing him of taking xanax. Towards the end of booking him after being in the holding room for 6 hours they finally brought him out and was asking him what he had been taking with a pharmacist there and he told them Tylenol PM and he had drank a monster drank & they said that this could have contributed. He told them that he had not taken xanax - why would he be such a dumb___ to loose his job over something like this knowing that he comes EVERY week? We had to use our mortage payment to set bond. Is this possible that this would set off a false positive? Thank you for your in-put.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Singer replied 5 years ago.
No it is not possible to have a false positive from Tylenol PM the test is very specific for benzodiazepines. As far as your monster drink, I need the ingredients to know more. Thank you for your question. Best of luck to you. Dr. Singer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In WikiAnswers you have where someone took benadryl (antihistamine) & then a few days later went into early labor & when her Dr. ran a pee test to see if she had done any drugs to cause the early labor & came up positive for benzos, & think that it came from the benadryl. It is the same thing that is in Tylenol PM, so if the other answer about sleeps meds is correct that would be the cause.
Expert:  Doctor Ellis replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to tell you, but no matter what wikiAnswers said about the subject, there is NO way for tylenol PM or monster energy drinks to give a false positive on a drug screen.

I hope this gives you some answers.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button.

Thank you Dr. Ellis for your corroboration. I stand by my answer jmarler. Dr. Singer

Please click the green ACCEPT button if this information has been helpful and answered your questions. Ask if you need clarification or more information.

Positive feedback is warmly appreciated.
You can give bonuses for what you feel is service and care above and beyond.
To direct future questions to me, start with singerdo

By accepting answers on this site I acknowledge and accept the following:
These answers are for educational purposes only.
Use of this site does not establish a doctor - patient relationship.
Information given and obtained on this site is not confidential.
Physical examination, a cornerstone of medical care is not possible on this website
and as such may lead to incorrect diagnosis and treatment.
Answers are based on your responses to physician queries. Witholding
information may lead to incorrect diagnosis and treatment.
Always consult with your own physician for the most accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't accept this answer, too many other articles that I have read disagree with both of you saying that sleep aids do cause you to fail blood test because it metabolizes. I just don't agree, sorry.

You asked me a question and I answered it. Please press accept to pay for this answer. I know that you are an honest person and would never ask a question you didn't intend to pay for. This is not a site to get answers that you agree with, rather it is a site to get answers from experts in the field and that is what you got and are expected to pay for. Thank you for your queston. Dr. Singer.