Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

My husband has blood work showing high levels of serum ferritin-700

Customer Question

My husband has blood work showing high levels of serum ferritin-700 He is 64yrs old and takes no meds.6'-175lbs. He is a borderline alcoholic however. At first his doctor thought he had macrocytosis but the liver function on the labs were all normal. He told us his body is producing more iron then it can obsorb perhaps from the toxins of the alcohol consumption? and to stop drinking and recheck labs in 6 mos. His total cholestrol dropped to 122 from 145 last year. My husband had a 2% subtrachnoid
(sp?) hemorage in 1982 that was clipped and no problems except slight short term memory loss. Dr told me today he has Organic Brain Syndrom. Couldn't find this on Web MD .Can anyone help.? Should I get another opinion? He seems to feel ok just a bit enemic. Confused.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 4 years ago.

Hi your husband could have hemochromatosis which is a disorder of excess iron absorption. It is genetic. It can affect multiple organ systems including the heart,liver, skin, brain,some endocrine glands and many more.

Diagnosis would be an increased ferritin level, increased iron concentration,increased iron binding capacity. He should be on a low iron diet.

Organic brain syndrome is just a generalized term for decreased mental function. It doesn't really tell us the cause but I'm guessing that his hemorhage may have had something to do with it.

Please see

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Organic+brain+syndrome

Have the doctors advised any treatment for him?

If you are satisfied with this answer please click accept .Let me know if you have any questions Any bonuses are appreciated. thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

The doctor did not advise any treatment. We went thru this a couple years ago with the elevated levels. I didn't understand it and doc didn't seemed concerned, so I just trusted it was ok. Dr doesn't order this blood work on his routine lab work. I asked for it and happened to notice it because I asked for a copy of the report. Dr mentioned macrocytosis when we were in the office on Friday. He said the laps show signs of perhaps a tumor in the body. He wanted to order the blood work before bone marrow testing. (that got us wondering and worried). From what I can understand he told us the body isn't absorbing the iron in a normal manner because of the toxin from alcohol consumption and thus it is causing slow poisoning of bone marrow. Your thoughts pls!!

Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.
The high ferritin means excess iron in blood, not a deficiency. If he has macrocytosis he is probably folate deficient which happens in alcoholics. Have your dr. get a B 12 and Folate level and begin him on folate pills if the level is low.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.