Dr.Brown, Doctor
Experience:  Family Practice

My left eye is swollen, red, gushing tears, painful and sensitive

Customer Question

My left eye is swollen, red, gushing tears, painful and sensitive to light. I woke up with it like that this morning. What can I do for relief?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.

any loss of vision or blurry vision?

do you wear contacts?

any previous eye problems?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not wear contacts. The vision in that is is definitely blurry. No previous eye problems. I wear glasses.Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sir,

Common causes of painful red eye include:

1) Corneal ulcer -bacterial infection of the cornea. If untreated can lead to permanent blindness

2)Uveitis- inflammation of the internal lining of the eye which can lead to eye pain and sensitivity to light.

3) Acute glaucoma- although vision is lost gradually from this.

You need to seek medical attention right away because I feel that your vision may get worse from this condition if left untreated. I would see an opthomologist right away. If you cannot see one today make appt or go to the ER.

If you do not have an eye doctor please see

If you have any further questions let me know.If not please click accept. Any bonus is appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there any cream or ointment or drops i can buy for uveitis? I am very sure that is what it is rather than either of the other two since I had any eye exam recently and neither of the other two problems was mentioned.
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.
Hi, typically uveitis would be treated with steroid eye drops which are not over the counter. Even if you had an exam recently you still may want to have this checked out to prevent any possible complications. I feel it would be worthwhile.
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.
I see that you have taken a look at my answer but have not accepted. Do you have any other questions? I feel that I have made the best recommendation possible for you. I wish you well.