Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 6 year experience in internal medicine
22950887

Im having constant dull ache at the back of my head. It seems

Customer Question

I'm having constant dull ache at the back of my head. It seems to move around from the back base of my skull to the "crown" area usually to sometimes the front over my forehead area. I use the sauna at my gym and it seems to take the headache away while I'm using it. What could be causing the dull ache for around 6 weeks now? I have no other symptoms such as fever or dizziness or anything to cause alarm. What is going on and how can I stop it? ( I have been under much stress from being laid off and having bills starting to pile up)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 years ago.
Im sorry to hear about your symptoms ill try to help you out here,

Well as you say that you have been under a lot of stress lately, this can be a cause for the headache that you have been having. The absence of any warning signs for amajor pathology is also in favour of stress induced headaches. Headaches due to stress are generalized and can last for a few days or even a couple of weeks. The best way to deal with this to do a few stress relieving exercises like the breathing exercises, light exercise or some activity that you might enjoy.

The only worrying thing here is that you have been having these headaches for 6 weeks now, if it persists for another week or so and it doesnt get better with motrin, advil or any muscle relaxant its best to see a doctor the.

The warning signs which require immediate medical attention are,

Severe headaches
Nausea Vomiting
blurring of vision
Early morning headaches
Ringing in ears
Dizziness

if you get any of these you should immediately seek medical attention and also do go to your doctor to have other causes ruled out in a week so, like migraines, tension headaches or even an intracranial pathology. i hope this helps you out

If I have been helpful,

BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK is always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ache has gotten better and not as constant as it had been previously so I just wondered how long stress headaches or tension headaches can last? I've been seriously stressed about the loss of my job and barely having money to get by on and not being able to pay all my bills on time. Can this cause a major headache like I seem to have? I haven't had any major issues such as dizziness or vomiting or anything such as this. All I can say is usually have a dull headache usually a few hours starting after I've gotten up and lately the aches have not been quite as constant. Is there an over the counter muscle relaxant I can try?
Stress is a major cause of headaches and it can be recurrent as long as you have the stressful stimulus in your life which you clearly do. but now that you have told me that you DO hget early morning headaches, i would advise you to see a doctor. this is because early morning headaches normally do NOT occur because of stress. Headaches which occur immediately after getting up in the morning could indicate a more sinister pathology like that of an intracranial lesion (such as tumors, increased pressure). rememeber this is only one sign of some bigger problem that MIGHt be there. I dont want you to worry as this can be simply checked by going to your doctor where he will perform a simple clinical exam and check the back of your eyes for increased pressure in the brain with an opthalmoscope so that you want to get really expensive tests. Also IF and thats a big IF he finds some abnormality only then he can ask for a MRI brain to rule that out.

Well There arent any muscle relaxants per se which are available OTC but you can try Aleve, it helps a lot in headaches like yours.

So i hope this helps you

If I have been helpful,