Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

My big toe has a discolored white look to it and it looks as

My big toe has a discolored white look to it and it looks as if my toenail is disconnecting at the cuticle. There is no pain or smell, any idea on what this might be?
Submitted: 4 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

How long is the discolouration?

any associated pain, tenderness, swelling, discjharge or fever?

any history of injury ?

do you smoke?

did you consult a doctor yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The discolouration covers most of my big toe and was first noticed in Oct. I o nly noticed the whole when I removed my nail polish.

There is no pain in the toe, in fact the toe feels numb.

There was no injury that I am aware of.

I do not smoke

I have not seen a doctor as of yet.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such toe discolouration along with numbness.The common ones are fungal infection, vascular disease, decreased blood supply, lepsrosy, diabetes, frostbite, etc.

As per the symptoms described by you, the chances of fungal infection may be ruled out furst which may cause such discolouration of toe and nail.The antifungal drugs are need to control such symptoms.It is usually taken for a few months.

The other possibility could be the vascular disease.The decreased blood supply may also cause such symptoms of pain, numbness with discolouration.It should be examined by doctor and investigated.

The other causes should also be ruled out like diabetes, leprosy, frostbite etc though the chances are less.

Here is the link for more information

causes of toe numbness

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice