Dr. K.
Dr. K., Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified primary care doctor.
25087362

I have been sick for 3 days. it started three nights ago i

I have been sick for 3 days. it started three nights ago i woke up and threw up after that i was really dizzy. Since then i havent been able to really eat anything and if i eat too much i throw it up. I have no energy and my back aches are getting worse. I also have a stuffy nose and headache can you please tell me what is wrong or at least how to get better
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you have an acute illnes, and the msart money would be on the flu. Strep can also cause similar symptoms. If you have any pain on urinating, you could have a serious kidny infection. Since you have a stuffy nose, (unless that is a red herring) it makes the flu more likely.

So here's the catch. If it's just a virus, you will probably kick it in a day or two.
If it's strep, you need antibiotics and a simple office based test will give you an answer.
If its the flu, the office based flu test may be able to tell, but these tests are not that great and can miss many cases of the flu.Since it's been 3 das, it is unlikely that tamiflu could give you any benefit. However, if you do have the flu, a secondary pneumonia is possible, which would require antibiotics.
Given your description of how sick you sound, I would at least go to an urgent care and get looked at, to make sure you do not have anything that is more serious, or something treatable so that you do not needlessly suffer

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont have any fever so does that rule out the flu also what is a red herring you mentioned with stuffy nose
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 6 years ago.
the flu usually has a fever, but if you are not measuing your temperature, you may have missed it.

A red herring is something that throws you off the right track. If every symptom you described is from your current illness, then I would think the flu, but if you have a runy nose from another unrelated issue, then the stuffy nose is not helping the diagnosis and just causing confusion.

has anyone around you been sick?
any diarrhea? blood or mucus in stools?
could you be pregnant?
when was your last period?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been taking my temperature and its been normal i do have allergies so that might be the cause of the stuffy nose

i dont think i have been around anyone who is sick no diarrhea or blood or mucus in stools there is no way i am pregnant my last period was november 17 so im not due for my next period for at least another 10 days

i also will have a shortness in breath that i have never really experienced with my allergies before oh and my sleeping has been really messed up to were i sleep for a few hours and then wake up for a few and then go back to sleep
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 6 years ago.
If you also have shortness of breath, the flu is much more likely... I would go seek medical attention i you have shortness of breath... you may have pneumonia.

Edited by DoctorK on 12/8/2009 at 1:32 AM EST