Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am a diabetic I have pain in my hands, arms. feet and lower

I am a diabetic
I have pain in my hands, arms. feet and lower part of my legs
I also, to a lesser extent, have the same type of pain in my body area.
The pain is like, a pin point , that occurs suddenly and last approx 10-15 second
the pain is sharp, and occurs at random within different parts of hands, leg etc
Glen Morphis
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry to hear about your symptoms

Well the type of pain that youre describing that is pin prick sensations are characteristic of DIabetic neuropathy, this is a disease which occurs in patients with long standing diabetes which was not controlled initially. you might have the diabetes well under control now, but in patients with type 2 diabetes, it usually takes some time for them to getr diagnosed and duriing that time period the uncontrolled blood sugar can damage various organs or rather start to have ill effects on the organs. Secondly, long standing diabetes of more than 10 years duration in patients will inevitably results in complications.

Now this disease classically presents with numbness and tingling sensations alongwith burning pain as well, but pin prick pain is also common in this disease. there are Six different types of diabetic neuropathies which ahave been documented although regardless of the type the treatment remains the same in almost all the types. What you have will be referred to as Symmetric Painful Diabetic neuropathy. This can be easily diagnosed with a test known as Nerve conduction studies (NCS), once the diagnosis is made you can be started on treatment for it which is pretty straightforward,

Better control of Blood sugars (if youre on orla hypoglycemics and the sugar is not controlled you can be given additional drugs or started on insulin, if youre insulin the dose can be increased)

these two drugs are for the pain that you feel, these alongwith Vitamin B12 supplements help a lot in many patients and can reduce the symptoms quite effectively. in addition i would recommend that you get your kidneys checked as well with the help of renal function tests, electrolytes levels (these can also cause the symptoms that you have as well), renal ultrasound, urine analysis for proteins and a complete exam of your eye to rule out retinopathy.

In addition, ther can be another cause for this type of sensation which can be related to nutrional deficiencies like vitamins, minerals like calcium or magnesium, its worthwhile getting those checked as well.

I suggest that you visit your doctor and discuss these possibilities with him. if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask me.

If I have been helpful,

Please click on the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK is always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.