Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

What does clinical correlation mean

What does clinical correlation mean?

well clinical correlation basically means that your treating physician should tally this report with the examination and history that he has already taken. The radiologist is basically saying here that since he has not examined the patient and the physician is the one who has followed your case from the beginning, he would be the best one to judge what this report actually means for you.

For example, as the radiologist has stated here that to him it looks like that you have lymphadenitis however he is not sure because of the lack of a history and clinical exam. Now your physician will take this report and look at it in light of his previous knowledge of your case and determine if he too thinks that this is lymphadenitis or something else.

Incidentally lymphadenitis is basically infection of the lymph nodes which can occur due to many conditions like a bacterial infection, viral infection or even fungal. The report here shows that the lymph nodes are not that much enlarged and it would be best to observe you for the next 6 -8 weeks. Now if your symptoms are persisting and the size of the lymph nodes is increasing, then its time to think about something else apart from an infection. The next step here would be to get a biopsy of the salivary gland and the lymph nodes to rule out a malignancy. although i must point out here if you have been just started on antibiotics it will take time for the infection to settle and its prudent to wait va few weeks, if you have been on this treatment for a while and nothing is improving...then get a biopsy then ASAP to rule out salivary gland cancer or even auto immune diseases. I hope this answers your question

If I have been helpful,

Please click on the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK is always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.