Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
18703594

Asthma acting up what can I do nebulizer not working

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If you asthma is acting up and your nebulizers are NOT working, you really should be seen in the ER - because your airway can close down on you fairly quick.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How many nebulizer treatments can I take don't wanna be in er tonight
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Which nebulizers do have that are working?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I take albuterol in neb am still tight chest is tight hate er anything else I can do
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You can take albuterol up to 4 times per day at home - so since you only used it once so far - try again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took it 4x during the day can I take it eventhough am still really tight what else can I do don't wanna be in er tonight
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you can still try taking the albuterol again and even the advair - but if it is not working, you really should be seen and I understand you do not want to go to the ER - also, is your albuterol container even working - I've seen it where the albuterol is run out of medication and this is why it is not working.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see the mist is that what u mean chest is really tight hurts to take breath In is that bad
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Yes, hurting to breath is not usually a good sign - and you need to have your 'air' - also, you could be coming down with the flu and/or even a pneumonia - so going to the ER for a chest xray too might be a good idea and if you have not had the flu shot(s) - getting the Tamiflu is a good idea too since you are susceptible to the flu given you are asthmatic.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Had both flu shots the h1n1 and seasonal flu shot I really hate er what can I do ESP cause nebulizer isn't helping chest hurts
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
There is nothing else you can do at home - because what you need is only available at the ER - such as oxygen, steroids, and another version of albuterol called LEVO-albuterol - now if you have other nebulizers or even a nebulizer system at home, you can try this - but taking hot showers, etc will NOT work for asthma.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live alone and am scared why does ot hurt am scared. Chest hurts to breath why
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You are hurting most likely because your airway is closing down on you and you are having anxiety - hence why I am suggesting that you get seen in the ER tonight - and I know this is not what you want to do - but this should be done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Anything else I can do scared to be in er sorry to bother u?breathing is making me tired is that bad
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Because you are having a hard time getting oxygen in - this is causing you to become tired - so when you get to the ER you probably will NOT wait long because you are having an AirWay problem - and the ER sees this as a true emergency - so I would recommend going - don't be scared to be in the ER - remember, the docs and the nurses there are humans too - they will take care of you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just am scared am alone hate being in er anything else can I do will it be bad to sleep it off with how bad I'm feeling chest hurts
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
I can't suggest anything else as I am not there - you really need to get seen.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry - but I have to opt out - I can't suggest anything more
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know I need to be In er just am scared wish neb would work is it bad to keep taking the neb
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If the Neb is not working - then you need to be in the ER - there comes a point you need to switch to something different - and the ER has other means to treat you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know I need to be In er just am scared wish neb would work is it bad to keep taking the neb can anyone help
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You need to seek emergent care - this can not be done over the internet - you need in person help be it an emergency room or an urgent care center - you need help.