Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.

3 weeks post surgery for total knee replacement. Have always

3 weeks post surgery for total knee replacement. Have always had opposite effect on most drugs, i.e. pain killers, etc. Now find that I have not been able to get a good nights sleep since surgery. Primary physician recommended Ambien. It did absolutely nothing. Surgeon changed me to Elevil (sp.) and it has done little more. I go to sleep for perhaps an hour then wake up after tossing and turning and my knee throbbing. I've tried everything, i.e. pillow under knee, heat, cold, etc. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for your question.

If you still have pain at night without a sound sleep ,you wil probably require stronger analgesia with prescription medicines like oxycontin.

If the pain subsides after taking oxycontin,you will have a sound sleep too.But if the pain still continues, you have to exclude other causes like Complex regional pain syndrome.
considered. Its a condition that follows trauma or surgery in which a joint or skin area can be painful, swollen and red but is unrelated to any ongoing infection or continued injury. There are treatments for this condition including neuromodulating drugs like tricyclics and gabapentin as well as anti-inflammatory drugs. It is worth bringing these issues up with your physician for further discussion.

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button.
I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.