Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.

My mom has MRSA in the lungs how contagious is it?I also have

My mom has MRSA in the lungs how contagious is it?I also have a 4 week old baby and concerned about taking her over to see her grandma.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 years ago.

Answer to your question-MRSA is contagious and can spread by air droplet so I will advise that you should not be taking your child to see grandmother till she gets treated from MRSA infection.Rather the data suggests that people who are infected or colonized with MRSA are placed in isolation to prevent the spread of MRSA.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has been treated by a lung specialist for a month her coughing is gone but just wondering how contagious she still is
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 years ago.
MRSA mostly presents with cough,sore throat,phelgm but if she does not have these symptoms and is on medications for one month,it seems that her MRSA infection would have been treated.But a physician has to do sputum culture to confirm it.The data suggests if antibiotic treatment starts right away for MRSA infection, the patient will not be contagious within 2 days,still always better to confirm whether MRSA is treated,jut to be on safe side as MRSA is difficult to treat.