Dr. Dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience:  US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
19562837

Can a person exercise with a bad hip without making it worse

Can a person exercise with a "bad hip" without making it worse? The problem is osteonecrosis, early stage (1 or 2). I don't want to make it worse while a treatment is being decided on but I don't want to get out of shape either.

Thank you for submitting your question.

The most important principle in managing osteonecrosis of the hip joint is to avoid putting weight/pressure on the hip joint. In some cases, reduced weight bearing can slow the damage caused by osteonecrosis and permit natural healing. When combined with pain medication, reduced weight bearing can be an effective way to avoid or delay surgery for patients with early stage osteonecrosis.

Exercise bike is a safe form of exercise for you- you are not putting weight on the joint, and this form of exercise keeps the joint mobile and increase the range of motion.

You should avoid using the treadmill to minimize pressure on your hips.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience: Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much for your answer. I got on the exercise bike right after I read it. Inactivity is very boring. I was curious about your use of the words "avoid or delay surgery" given that the patient discussion groups on the internet paint such a dismal picture of this problem. Perhaps the worst patients are the ones who post to the discussion groups?
hi, I am dr dennis, a specialist for 24 years in Internal medicine.
i have read dr Wus comments and they are excellent, but i would like to suggest swimming!!! This would be better than all of the other exercises mentioned. it may not be totally convenient but my opinion it would be best.

Good luck,
dr dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience: US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.