Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

I have had a mild sore throat on left side for over 3 weeks

I have had a mild sore throat on left side for over 3 weeks sometimes with yelowish/whitish spots on both sides of my throat. uncomftable left side of neck, dull earache and no fever (temp around 35.7 -36.5) have also developed back ache.

Hi

Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.

Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone. It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.Thats why your doctor have taken a blood test.Sore throat caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications but as it has been for 3 weeks,this seems to be bacterial infection.

You need prescription antibiotic medication for it. So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for prescription antibiotics.

Regards-

Dr.David.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many Thanks apologies for the terrible spelling, one very weird aspect is every now and then I get a feeling of flushing on that side of my face it feels but not hot to touch, is this also consistant with a bacterial infection
yes,this symptom is also because of the bacterial infection which will go away with the antibiotic course.

Regards-

Dr.David.