Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

I have itchy outer ears - this has persisted for over a year.

I have itchy outer ears - this has persisted for over a year. What kind of doctor should I go to? It is the skin of the outer ear - should I seek a dermatologist or an ear doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms you have described are suggestive of skin disease known as eczema(Dermatitis).A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & itchy.

The following will help you greatly:Take tablet levocitrizan 5mg once a day.Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.This will reduce the rashes & itching.All these medications are available at your counter without any prescription.

For prescription medications,I advice you to make an appointment with the dermatologist.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.