Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Side effects of spinal stenosis

Side effects of spinal stenosis
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis and ill try to help you out

Spinal stenosis is as the name implies a narrowing of the spinal canal and as a result of which there is pressure on the spinal cord and the symptoms that you experience, the symptoms vary with the site where this occurs in your case as your feet and legs are involved so the symptoms will mostly be in your legs, which will be

Lower back pain,
radiating leg pain (unilateral or bilateral), and
possible bladder and bowel difficulties.

The classic presentation is radiating leg pain associated with walking that is relieved by rest (neurogenic claudication).
When patients bend forward, the pain diminishes.The pain is relieved when the patient flexes the spine by, for example, leaning on shopping carts or sitting.
Rarely, patients with lumbar stenosis present with cauda equina syndrome (bilateral leg weakness, urinary retention).

Complications of spinal stenosis may include:

• Loss of feeling. Depending on which nerves are compressed, spinal stenosis may cause a loss of feeling in your feet or legs. As a result, cuts or wounds may become seriously infected because you're not aware of them.
  • Loss of bladder or bowel control. In addition, spinal stenosis sometimes interferes with bowel or bladder function — a problem that can affect your quality of life.
  • Degenerative changes. Although treatment can relieve symptoms of spinal stenosis, it doesn't stop degenerative changes. Some of these changes, such as muscle atrophy, may be permanent, even after the pressure is relieved.
  • Paralysis can also occur

Early treatment is important for a successful outcome. Surgical decompression of the neural structures usually treats the symptoms effectively. Long-term pain relief is a common outcome, and most patients can resume active lives.

I hope this is the answer youre looking for and if you need anymore clarifications please let me know

If I have been helpful,

BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK is always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could there be other reasons for numbness in legs and feet? I have no pain in legs or lower back.
Well there are sevral other reason for this scenario, and its not alwasy necessary for you to have pain in your back for a diagnosis of spinal stenosis. the other reason can be

Peripheral Neuropathy
This is due to involvement of the nerves and as result of which there is numbness and loss of sensations in the feet and legs. This can be due to many many causes like

Vitamin B12 deficiency (which would also explain your loss of balance)
Heavy metal poisoing
Acute intermittent porphyria
Chronic diseases like kidney disease
Infectious causes

Spinal problems
Apart from spinal stenois there can be other causes of related to the spine such as sub acute combined degenration of the cord which is due to vit b12 deficiency, also it can be due to compression of the nerves which are exiting the cord.

Electrolyte imbalance can also cause numbness and tingling in the extremities such as decreased calcium levels among others

My suggestion is that the first thing you do is get a MRI spine and then a Nerve Conduction study and then move on from there. the best way for evlauation is to see a nuerologist for the numbness initially.

If I have been helpful,