Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Could a possible viral infection cause blood pressure in me

Could a possible viral infection cause blood pressure in me and my husband to rise drastically, as we do not suffer from high blood pressure, but currently measure both with different machines between 173/105 then dropping to 126/90 and back again to higher...?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you taking any medications for your symptoms?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No current medication. Waiting to see the doctor, but feels it's unfare to just accept bloodpressure tablets, as I am healthy, my husband too, and it seems like some viral attack having throut sore from time to time, dissappearing with both of us, fever from time to time, since the past few days... now blood pressure for the past week.... suddenly.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
I have seen elevated blood pressures in patient's who are ill many times.

Pain can elevate blood pressure.
There is evidence that certain viruses can elevate blood pressure as well.

I would not start you on blood pressure medications. You are young.

If you came into my office, I would have you monitor your blood pressures at home and have you return once you are back to feeling normal, unless you were someone who had many risk factors for heart disease (high cholesterol, diabetes, strong family history of early heart attack), then I would consider medication.

I would also consider medication if you had an abnormal EKG or abnormal blood work, which your doctor will likely order today (ie abnormal kidney function, which can be a sign of longer-standing abnormal blood pressures)

I would recommend that you stay away from decongestants, as these can raise blood pressure.

Bring your readings and your cuff to your doctor's appointment to make sure they are reading accurately.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

I hope that you feel better,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!