Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

What are the symptoms of a ruptured bakers cyst; and what

What are the symptoms of a ruptured baker's cyst; and what is the treatment
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Baker's cyst which is also called as poplitieal cyst, is a condition in which you experience a bulge/swelling at the back of you knee. Many people with baker's cyst do not have any symptoms but those who does they usually present with knee pain, stiffness, swelling at back of knee, pain during knee extension or active use. Sometimes, the cyst can rupture causing fluid leaking down the leg which produces bruises in calf. Rupture cyst is frequently associated with rapid swelling of leg, difficulty in walking and can mimic blood clots in leg. If such condition is suspected then proper investigation is required to rule out blood clots.
As far as treatment is concern, it depends upon the severity of symptoms. Asymptomatic cases do not require any treatment and cyst may disappear on it's own. The prime focus is to treat underlying cause of baker's cyst such as arthritis or cartilage tear. If the cause is tear, then surgical procedure are used to treat the condition. If the cyst is ruptured, fluid in the cyst will leak into calf and gets absorbed by the body. You may not notice any swelling there after but cyst may return again latter. Treatment always depends upon the severity of pain, swelling and other symptoms, typically not on whether or not it has ruptured. Some of the recommended treatments are use of ice pack, warm compresses, knee elevation, pain meds, aspiration, steroid injection, surgical procedure for large cyst. You can read more about it from click here.

Edited by Dr. Shah on 11/29/2009 at 5:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since it has been two months nothing seems to be absorbing and continues to be extremely painful, I have a steriod injection and x-rays. Will an MRI be able to see this?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Yes, MRI is superior to x rays to pin point the cause. I think you are being take care appropriately in step up pattern. MRI findings will be more important in deciding, which treatment option would be suitable for you.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.