Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.
25794211

I have serious pain in my left armpit and shoulder blade. I

Customer Question

I have serious pain in my left armpit and shoulder blade. I had a lumpectomy approx: 3 yrs. ago w/ radiation. LInda
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,

I am sorry to learn of your history and current problem. I would like to ask a few questions to clarify things:

a) Are you otherwise healthy? No prior evidence of spread of this cancer?

b) Any swelling/redness over the area?

c) Are you able to feel anything in the breast or underarm?

d) Do you have any swelling of your arm?

e) How long have you had this pain?

f) Finally, have you done anything recently (physically) that is out of the ordinary for you?

I will respond asap.

Regards,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This pain started 1 week ago. I called my Dr. and he gave me an antibiotic-ceftin in case of infection. I'm also taking hydrocodone but it doesn't help. I really hurt. I have a past in medical. Breast cancer-vascular disease. I had an abdominal aotic bypass around the same time they found the cancer. I also have COPD-emphyzema and a lot of meds. inc/ oxygen. I'm 59 yrs. old and just lost my husband to colon cancer:
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 years ago.
I am so sorry Linda to hear of all these other issues. I will remember you in my prayers.

Now, to this pain issue I know you are thinking this is a recurrence of cancer. However, I doubt that. I presume you may be on Tamoxifen as well.

If your shoulder moves in all directions without any problems that is good. If you can reproduce your pain or make it worse it is more likely to be muscular in origin. If you have any neck pain this could possibly be a nerve impingement issue.

In any event, with all your problems, I would strongly advise you to call your doctor tomorrow. Tell him you are no better and that you consulted with me. Tell him I felt that you should be evaluated asap. We need a resolution to this problem. You may need x-rays or an MRI etc.

In the meantime you might try warm moist compresses on the area. If your hydrocodone is 5/325 you could increase to 11/2-2 every four hours. For a short time you could add some antiinflammatory like Aleve (2 daily) or Advil.

I hope this helps some. Keep your chin up.

Regards,

Dr. Frank MD
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank-You so very much Dr. Frank, I will take your advice! Linda
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just wanted to tell you all that I think you are all great. I've dealt with some really caring people! THANK-YOU Linda
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 years ago.
Linda,

It is indeed very kind of you to leave such uplifting feedback. There are times when we do not know if we have really helped someone with their concerns. I appreciate you.

Have a great Sunday.

Dr. Frank MD