Dr-Camp, Doctor
Experience:  Naturopathic Doctor

how to cure a red nose caused by alcoholism besides stopping

how to cure a red nose caused by alcoholism besides stopping drinking
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 years ago.

since when do you have a red nose? only after you started drinking? are there any other syptoms like dilated veins on the face, boils, increse in size of nose? does it exacerbate on going out to sun?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It has been red for a few years after perhaps 3 decades of drinking moderately to occasionally heavy but never seriously red just obvious at least to me

No dilation of veins, boils or any increase in the size. Any heavy exercise, cold weather or sun will aggravate. Normally easily covered by facial makeup but of course that is not a cure

Expert:  Dr-Camp replied 6 years ago.

I am not sure what the previous expert would respond with but I have a few comments for you to consider. First off, one of the things research has established clearly is that a deficiency in B-vitamins is very common with a history of high alcohol use. Although there are a number of symptoms, this "nose redness" is commonly reported. Also reported is that with supplementation of a good quality B complex, especially high in B12 and B6 you can see this symptom begin to resolve over time. Also, there is a salve from Wise Woman Herbals called All Purpose Healing Salve which contains comfrey and calendula, both of which can help to regenerate the tissue to come in healthier and less red. I have seen myself, considerable clinical improvement in the "nose redness" with this approach, and have read several clinical reports of other doctors, all types, MDs, DOs and NDs. Hope that helps and Happy Holidays.

Dr-Camp, Doctor
Experience: Naturopathic Doctor