Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My CT scan showed fluid around the gallbladder. I have bile

My CT scan showed fluid around the gallbladder. I have bile duct cancer but this is the first time that the fluid has shown up. What does it mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the question.

There are several possible causes of fluid around the gallbladder. The fluid around the gallbladder is frequently related to inflammation or infection. The fluid can also be related to the presence of a tumor compression the bile duct, but it should have been present on previous scans. It also could be related to a leakage of bile. The fact that you have a stent in the duct does increase the risk for infection. Ultimately, your physician will correlate the CT findings with other clinical findings to clarify the diagnosis.