Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

how do you decrease alkaline phosphatase levels

Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Is the alk. phos from bone or liver?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

blood work up liver

Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Elevated alkaline phosphatase fron the liver and not from bone can be due to several different causes. If the alkaline phosphatase is elevated with out other liver enzymes being elevated it usually represents some type of problem with the bile ducts or the flow of bile in the liver or in the bile ducts outside of the liver. Some of the causes may be gallstones or a stricture of the common bile duct or tumor or stricture of the bile ducts inside the liver such as can be seen with a disease called sclerosing cholangitis.Also this may Indicate a liver disease called primary biliary cirrhosis. in order to define the cause And therefore the treatment your Dr. must perform different types of blood tests and eventually may have to do a liver biopsy.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what can be done now to help lower these levels
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Your doctor must first determine the cause and then give you the correct medicine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what tests need to be run
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Other liver function tests.