Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

MY RIGHT HEEL FEELS LIKE I STEPPED ON A NAIL AND THE NAIL IS

MY RIGHT HEEL FEELS LIKE I STEPPED ON A NAIL AND THE NAIL IS STILL IN THERE. I CAN WALK IN MY 3in. HEEL SHOES, BUT NOT SO IN MY SNEAKERS. THE PAIN IS TOLERABLE WHEN I'M SITTING,BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GO FOR MY MORNING WALKS OR TO THE MALL.
I HAVE NOT TALKED TO MY DOCTOR ABOUT IT.
COULD IT BE A HAIRLINE FRACTURE OR A SPUR AND IF SO WHAT CAN BE DONE?
P. S. I AM NOT A DIABETIC. THE ONLY MEDS I TAKE ARE FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 years ago.
Im sorry to hear about your problems and ill give you a few possibilities,

Plantar Fasciitis
As you rightly guessed the pain can be due to a bone spur or rather plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is due to irritation and inflammation of the tight tissue that forms the arch of the foot. Common symptoms of plantar fasciitis include heel pain with prolonged walking and standing.

Tarsal Tunnel Sydrome
Tarsal tunnel syndrome causes a large nerve in the back of the foot to become entrapped, or pinched. Similar to carpal tunnel syndrome in the hand, tarsal tunnel syndrome can cause heel pain.

Posterior heel pain
Posterior heel pain causes symptoms behind the foot, rather than underneath. Posterior heel pain causes include Achilles tendonitis and retrocalcaneal bursitis. which are basically achilles tendon inflammation and inflammation of the bursa (sac of fluid around the heel).

Other causes can be vascular in nature especially if the heel pain extends upto your calves on walking.

Now the treatment depends on the cause and after the cause is determined you can go about the specific treatments but the basic treatment is ,

Rest
Apply ice packs
Painkillers like advil or motrin
And even cortisone injections in refractory cases.
Shoe inserts might help as well

My suggestion is that you visit your doctor who after a clinical exam can prescribe the right treatment for you. Until then you can use advil or motrin for temporary pain relief.

I hope this answers your question

If I have been helpful,

Please click on the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK is always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.