Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

the skin under my some of my nails is receding. about a month

the skin under my some of my nails is receding. about a month ago, my thumb became very painful; i don't recall any type of injury; when the pain ended. i noticed the skin under the nail had become a 'dark red' just under the tip, then i noticed that it had a deeper depression than usual. the 'dark red' continues to recede and my nail has broken off far below my finger tip. this is not across the nail, but at a 'right angle'. what could be the cause?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I would say that there are few important possibilities in such cases which need to be investigated like fungal infection, onycholysis. There is a strong possibility of onycholysis in your case and remember fungal infections do also give onycholysis and there are other causes for that as well. I will recommend you to see Dermatologist for that and prescription. Don't expose your hands much in water and use gloves while washing. I am sending you a link for more information.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed