Nurse Milli
Nurse Milli, Nurse
Experience:  16+ years experience in direct patient care.ER/Urgent Care, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, Medical

My blood pressure is 150/100. Is that too bad?

I have a BP of 150/100 is that too bad?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nurse Milli replied 6 years ago.
A blood pressure of 150/100 is considered borderline Stage II hypertension. What that means for you is that you need to be part of a healthier lifestyle with diet and exercise. You did not state whether or not you were on any kind of blood pressure medication or not, but if you are on a blood pressure medication, it is not controlling your blood pressure as it should or you need an additional medication added to your current medication.
Also bear in mind that physical exercise, stress, some over the counter medications, and things like eating a heavy meal can all raise your blood pressure, so if this is a one time high reading for you, you may need to just monitor your blood pressure to see if it comes down on it's own. Normally, it takes the patient monitoring his/her blood pressure for several weeks and then returning to their Dr to discuss the readings that were collected to decide if BP medications need to be started or not unless someone presents with a dangerously high blood pressure then they would be immediately treated. Yes, yours is high and you need to continue to monitor it and if it does not come down, you should have it checked at a walk in clinic or urgent care to make sure your reading is correct and not a mechanical error.
Hope this helps, let me know if you need extra info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just took it again and its 138 over 80. Hows that?
I just finished a research paper for school and have worked on it for over 7 hours. could stress cause it?
I have a reading around 150/100 maybe once or twice every few weeks, but most of the time it is around 120-140 over 80ish. Does this pattern seem pretty normal?
Last question what BP is stroke range?
That is very much better.
YES, stress can definitely cause your blood pressure to be elevated.
I would like to suggest that since you get these readings checked by your Dr and keep a blood pressure log of your readings over, say....a month's time and let your Dr look at what your readings are running. It's normal for your blood pressure to respond to stress but not to be elevated this much (top number of around 140). You may be instructed to watch your diet, lose weight if you are overweight and be given an exercise program to see if that helps first.
High blood pressure is a risk factor for stroke but doesn't mean you will have a stroke by having an elevated blood pressure. "Stroke level" blood pressure would depend on the person's current general health, risk factors involved, and how long their blood pressure has been elevated and how high. So, there is no real magic number as it depends on the person.