Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I have a headache, sore stomach and are really tired all of

I have a headache, sore stomach and are really tired all of a sudden - what could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 7 years ago.
Do you have vomiting?
Diarrhea?
Fever? Watering from nose? eyes?
any other symptoms?
Any other medical condition?

Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I feel like I want to vomit have not so far. My stomach is upset and I have flatulence.

I do not have diarrhoea as yet and have no medical condition.

My wife and I had a curry last night. We both have the same symptoms.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 7 years ago.

This feeling you described can occur sometimes after ingestion of hyperosmotic diet like "curry" you said which because of its hyperosmolarity can drain a lot of fluid in intestine and produce symptoms like dehydrated state. or it could be gastritis.

If you can tolerate oral fluids it is better to take oral fluids, and oral proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole / over the counter antiemetic will work.
however if this doesn't work or you start to have vomiting or diarrhea, you may need intravenous fluid replacement and may be antibiotics.

Please feel free to ask any queries about answer
I hope the answer was helpful.
Regards
Kindly click ACCEPT, if i have answered to your satisfaction. A positive feedback and a bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The concern I have with this diagnosis is that we have exactly the same curry every Friday night for the last two months and have not felt this way.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 7 years ago.
Sure your concern is justified, and what i said is also not the rule, it is only on occasions that the concentrations and osmolarity disturbs your digestive system.

also this puts into thought that you might have compensated stomach problem which would have been aggravated or decompensated by this episode.

This also suggests that if you don't get relieve by these medications (a course of omeprazole for a week) you should have proper workup for your digestive system including an endoscopy and abdominal ultrasound.

I hope the answer was helpful.
Regards
Kindly click ACCEPT, if i have answered to your satisfaction. A positive feedback and a bonus will be highly appreciated..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Re your comment "it is only on occasions that the concentrations and osmolarity disturbs your digestive system." - this does not seem to tally as it would seem strange that both my wife and I have these symptoms within hours of each other.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 7 years ago.
Well if this has effected both, then it is more likely that it could be a case of food contamination resulting into gastritis and your symptoms.

I hope the answer was helpful.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I suspect that this is more the case. I have had campylobacter before which was completely rehabilitating - is gastritis a more mild for of this?
How long does it typically last and what can you suggest to help overcome it?
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 7 years ago.
yes acute gastritis because of food poisoning is less severe and self limiting condition.
It typically lasts for 2-4 days and if lasts more than this specific etiology is determined by stool cultures.
the early symptoms are treated with oral fluid intake, improving personal hygiene. antiemetic if vomiting and adsorbents if diarrhea.
intravenous fluids are required only in severe vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration and antibiotics are also added.
If there is associated dyspepsia, can be treated with proton pump inhibitors.

I hope the answer was helpful.
Regards