Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My belly button sticks out, it has for 12 years at least. It

My belly button sticks out, it has for 12 years at least. It does not hurt or bother me, unless I relly mess with it. I never even worried about it before until my mother said I should get it checked out. I have gained alittle weight so it sticks out alittle more, sometimes when I wake up in the mornings it doesn't stick out.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Stan, and will be assisting you.

Do you have any other medical problem?

Do you wish to repair it ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no I don't have ant other medical problems. I guess I would repair it if I need to, embilical hernia?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You have a condition called abdominal umbilical hernia. It is usually not a problem, unless other complications are associated with it. When there is complication that make the hernia cause discomfort/pain, such as abdominal tissue strangulation inside the hernia, it may become necessary to repair the hernia. However, if you are not in pain or experiencing other discomfort, the hernia is often not repaired.

As I menioned, complications may develop if pressure inside the abdomen resulting from daily activity or weight gain pushes the abdominal contents further through the opening. Such body changes can cause abdominal content or tissue to insert in the hernia and become twisted or strangulated. Strangulation is a condition in which the circulation to a section of the intestine (or other part of the body) is cut off by compression or constriction; it can cause extreme pain. If the strangulation persists, the tissue can die from lack of blood supply and lead to an infection.

So, in your case, the hernia is not causing you any discomfort, except that it is now protruding more due to your recent weight gain. I would suggest that you leave it alone, and try loosing few pounds, as that will make it invaginate back inside as before. In addition, avoid exert too much forward abdominal pressure with during your routine daily activities. The process of repairing the hernia may involve inserting an artificial inert mesh to hold the abdominal content back. Given that it is not bordering you, and that you have only become concerned since your weight gain, then if you loss some weight and you will be okay. I trust that you will do well.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.