Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

I have a bruised hand from punching a wall. I have full movement

I have a bruised hand from punching a wall. I have full movement and it has been improving each day. The swelling has gone down considerably. It has been 5 days now and there is still pain. I am unable to lift much with it. The pain is on the outside of my hand and below my knuckles. There are no noticeable deformities either. Do you think it could be boxers fracture or is it just a deep bruise? Again it has been improving each day considerably.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 7 years ago.
Hello,I will try to help
It is unlikely to be a boxers fracture as this would occur above the knuckles.But this doesn't rule out the possibility of a fracture.If the pain is going down considerably, youhave full motion and there are no visible deformities it is likely a sprain or bruise and not a fracture.If it persists longer than 10 days and you can't lift anything then you should have it examined by a doctor and x-rayed.

All that being said, if you want peace of mind just have it x-raued as oon as possible.This will ensure you don't do any damage to it if it is a fracture.I practice in the field of orthopedics,and a lot of times there could be subtle fractures or fractures that are present when it isn't obvious on physical exam

Hope this helps