Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.
25794211

What make your vagina smell like metal

What make your vagina smell like metal
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Please clarify this for me.

a) Is this an odor that you are aware of? or are others aware of it as well?

b) Do you suffer from any chronic or unusual vaginal discharge, discomfort, itching etc?

c) Are you on any prescription medications?

d) Are your menses normal and are you on any contraceptives?

Are you otherwise in good health?

Thank you,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My boyfriend noticed it
No discharge sometime itching
Luvox clonsipan ( sp?)
I dont have normal periods I have the birth control in my arm
I have been treated for yeast many times and no bv
Checked for std's and none
good health
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Customer

The most common cause for this odor is due to bacterial vaginosis. This is due to a benign organism (bacterium- known as gardnerella) that can be a normal inhabitant of the vagina. It occasionally overgrows and will cause this odor. It sometimes will induce a bit of discharge, but not always.

It is easily treated by either oral antibiotics or intravaginal antibiotics.

It may be worth trying an acidic douche and probiotics to try to eradicate it on your own. However, if it persists over a couple more weeks you definitely should see your physician.

Hope this is helpful,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is the thing my doc has been treating me for over a year. It always comes back. The test 9 out of 10 times say yeast so I take fluconisal three times a months. I've really just had it and want somebody to make all of this make sense. If heard the iron smell could be from a period that is barely there sense I don't have one.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Yeast DOES NOT cause any odor!! In addition yeast are part of the normal flora of the vagina. So, I doubt that any of your symptoms are due to this.

Bacterial vaginosis is still the most likely cause. It is difficult to diagnose...you can rarely see it under the microscope. It is most often diagnosed by the history.

What you heard is wrong. If you have an implant it is likely that you either don't have menses, or very minimal ones.

If I were you I would ask my doctor to give me a trial of metronidazole and/or clindamycin for 1-2 weeks. If it resolves then you have your proof. If all else fails I would get a second opinion from an OB-GYN physician.

If it's any consolation I have treated numerous women for this very problem.

Good Luck,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK last question I have tried the metronidazole many times. If it is not that what else could it be so I know what else to ask my doctor she is an OB-GYN physician. And I trust her I just feel like she isn't getting me anywhere.

Thank you. I will accept I promise.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Customer

I don't mind at all to respond. That's what I'm here for.

Did you use metronidazole intravaginally or orally? I would recommend oral. In addition, for a difficult case as yours I would also add intravaginal clindamycin at the same time.

I still recommend that you obtain a second opinion just for this issue if you don't get this resolved. You don't have to leave the doctor that you trust.

Finally, I woulld see nothing wrong with having your husband treated with metronidazole orally as well for at least a week. There have been reports of the organism being found in the urinary bladder of males.

Hope this helps...let me know how it turns out.

Dr. Frank MD
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.