Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

Can Naltrexone cause a false positive for oxycodone I believe

Can Naltrexone cause a false positive for oxycodone? I believe it does have that as part of its chemical makeup.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it could.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My husband is on this drug along with many others and he is having to take random drug tests and this keeps coming up. How long after not taking the medicine will it not show up in his system? He was on the 50mg

Given the half-life of the drug, at least five to seven days.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Thank you. So to confirm, naltrexone 50 mg could indeed give him a false positive for oxycodone. Are there any other types of drugs that could do that besides hydrocodone or oxycontin? Any foods that could do this?

Over the counter cough suppressants and ibuprofen can test positive for opiates. And, yes, Naltrexone can test positive also.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Positive for opiates for positive for oxycodone? Or are they the same thing?
Most drug screens cover all opiates at random. Some are more specific for individual drugs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The drug test he had done specifically shown oxycodone, not just opiates. That is why I am confirming if they are the same. They did a drug test for all drugs and alcohol.
I'd have to know the specific test, but, if Naltrexone was the only opiate-like drug he was taking, it's obvious that it di show up positive on the screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't know the specific test, just that these are being done by the court as part of an OWI. He is also on many others, like Antabuse, Campral, Mirtazipine, trazadone, and effexor xr.
Is he in trouble with the court because of the test results?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he could be. He has to go three times a week for the testing as part of his bond. Today for example if it is positive again, the results go in front of the judge and he will decide if he is to go to jail or wait until his next court date.
Two thoughts--he could have a doctor research the subject and write a letter stating the fact that it could be a false positive from the Meds he's taking. Another possibility--and I mention this just for completeness sake-- is that he's actually taking oxycodone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I definitely know he isn't taking any oxycodone. He had a prescription for oxycontin for an injury for earlier in the year, but he never even took one of those pills. I give him his medication and I know what I give him. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain