Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Im finding it hard to pee in the morning or at other times,

I'm finding it hard to pee in the morning or at other times, no pattern to it. I have to push hard in the morning inorder to go. I know this isn't normal for me. I did go out of the country 2 1/2 months ago on a mission trip. And I did pick-up a virus from drinking the water. I had a full medical exam just before I went with blood work, exg, etc. Everything came back normal. Is it because I'm getting older, almost 50 or do I have an infection of some type that I picked up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.

Difficulty in passing urine, especially when the bladder is full (as happens in the ealrfy morning) is usually a symptom of a prostate enlargement. Benign enlargement of the prostate is common in your age. And you need to get an examination for a a diagnosis.

An urinary tract infection can also cause difficulty in passing urine but this will not necessarily occur in the morning but will be present more or less throughout the day. There will also be burning and increased frequency of passing urine.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did forget to mention that in the morning I have been somewhat erect. Although thru-out the day this isn't the case. As to a tract infection ,there is no burning and i really don't have to go often. I do drink a lot of water and i have a very active lifestyle.

What do you mean by Benign enlargement of the prostate?

As I've stated, I just had a full exam and everything came back normal. At least that's what the doctor said.

The prostate is a gland that sits just under the bladder. The ureter , which is the tube through which urine passes from the bladder to the ureteric opening in the penis , passes though the prostate.

The protate tends to enlarge with age in most men. This is almost normal and requires no treatment unless there are symptoms. And unless there are symptoms such as difficulty in passing urine, your doctor may not necessarily check you for an enlargement of the prostate.

A benign enlargement means that it is not a dangerous condition.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.