Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician
Experience:  13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.
23307758

What is Disclampsia And, do you know where there is a Spine

Customer Question

What is Disclampsia?

And, do you know where there is a Spine Laser Surgeon in Cincinnati or Columbus, Ohio that accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield?

Thank you so much,
Charlene Kopchak XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 years ago.

Charlene-

I think the problem that is coming up here is that in the English language there is no medical term such as "disclampsia" . Preeclampsia and Ecclampsia are known diagnoses related to pregnancy.

Given the other info- you have a disc problem, herniation? Bulging?

Disclampsia- everywhere I have looked is only referred to in other languages.

Did you get this diagnosis in a Latin country? Maybe terms are mixed up?

I'd be happy to help- but I need to know what is wrong with you- try explaining without the terminology and perhaps we can figure this out!!

My best-

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Doctor Lori,

I usually write too much, this time not enough. LOL! Not to worry about disclampsia. It was my sister 'n law's sister that had it during delivery. It's toxsemia. Oh well, we tried, right?

Now, as far as my back goes. I have been in chronic pain for 7 yrs. I had a discectomy June 2007 that only made my pain worse. My sciatica is now killing me & runs down my left leg something awful. I still have herniated & bulging (lower) disks, degenerative disc disease, an I have sciatica, deteriorating vertebra's, scar tissue & spinal stenosis. The people I spoke to here in Dayton, Ohio, took all this information down & said I was a candidate for the laser surgery & they could fix all of this, BUT, they don't accept my husband's Ins. of Blue Cross Blue Shield. It's only $19,000, when I don't have any extra money, being unemployed for 4 1/2 yrs.! Any other questions? Sorry I'm just now getting to this email, I had forgotten all about it, until I saw a $9.00 chg. in my checking acct. I sure hope you can find me a GREAT doctor & I can get in ASAP!!! Thank You & have a Happy Thanksgiving!! Charlene

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 years ago.

charlene-

MAny Laser procedures are cash only-

You would be best served by calling BC and asking if the procedure is covered at all.

If not- then it makes your search quite different-

You need to look for the least expensive.

But call BCBS and find out first.

They may have a clear policy.

If they say it can be covered, they should refer you to the docs who can do It!!

Good luck and I will be around to answer the follow up question should it arise.

My Regards-

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi & thanks for replying, I already was told to get in touch with BCBS, but I talked to a Laser Surgeon's office in Cincinnati, Ohio that didn't do spine laser, and they took our Insurance. So, I thought most would & would find a doctor first. I'll call BCBS tomorrow.

Charlene

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 years ago.

Charlene-

I am happy to give you a narrowed down search of these providers/facilities.

But then you would have to call and find out if they take your insurance, and then the issue is whether BCBS pays for the procedure at all.

The best and easiest plan- find out if they cover spine laser procedures- if not you have your answer ad I can still get you a list of cash pay providers.

If they do cover them, I am also happy to find some other providers/centers for you.

Just let me know which way you would like to proceed-

I just didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase, that's all.

But I am happy to help you any way I can-

Let me know!

My regards- Your JA Doc-

Dr Lori Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I just now got back to this. More back problems!! I'm sorry I don't agree with your answer. I called my Ins. Co. & they have to have a code from the doctor who is going to do the surgery. So, once again, I'm back at the beginning. Can you please credit my Mastercard acct.? I paid $9.00, which is a lot for nothing. My husband had a fit, to say the least. If you don't have my card no. on file, please let me know!

Thank you, Charlene

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 years ago.

Charlene-

but what you have learned is that BC will POTENTIALLY cover the procedure based on your diagnosis and the procedure they will do.

For instance, If you have a wrist cyst, and the surgery code is for a hip surgery- they won't cover. Standard expectations of an ins co. So- at least they haven't thrown a wall up and said - "we don't cover ANY laser surgery of the back", which would be standard for most insurance co's. I have been a medical Director, so I can tell you that is true.

Apparently your surgery can potentially be covered, but the code for the procedure is what you need. And, to get $9 back- you need to write to JA directly, not me. After all, you never accepted my answer, so everything I did was free of charge. I did not get any payment as you have to accept an answer for Just Answer to allocate anything to me.

Your request for a refund need be with them. But I will inform them.

Edited by Lindie-Moderator on 12/18/2009 at 4:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help. The first day I wrote the $9.00 was taken out of my checking. so, you should have been paid. No worries, you helped. Have a very Merry Christmas & New Year!!!

Charlene

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 years ago.

Charlene-

Just so you are aware when you use JA in the future...

When you get charged, that is for your deposit so that you may view the answers you are given. JA holds your deposit, and does not allocate any funds to the experts unless you click Accept on an answer. This allows you to view all answers that are given, and the choice to pay whichever expert you choose to Accept.

On this question, for instance, you placed a deposit, and since none of the answers were Accepted, the experts involved do not receive payment. Since I was the only expert and my answers were not "Accepted", JA still has your funds on deposit.

No worries here either, but now you know this for future referrence.

Happy holidays to you too......

Best wishes :)