Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

I am on MAOI (Nardil). I had a colonoscopy yesterday and the

I am on MAOI (Nardil). I had a colonoscopy yesterday and the fentaly and versed had no effect on me for sedation or pain relief. By the end of the procedure I had been given 325 mg of fentalyn with no effect. Could my MAOI have blocked the effects of fentalyn and versed?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Did you feel "lightheaded" or "buzzed" at all? Or have memory of the event? Sleepy at all?

And what was the pain you were feeling?

Have you had narcotic medication before -- and did it work for you in the past?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not feel drowsy, buzzed or anything but wide awake. I felt the whole procedure and was screaming for the doctor to stop because it was so painful. I have had narcotics in the past for sugical procedures but was not on Nardil at the time.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

This seems very unusual, because a person that received both midazolam (versed) and 325 micrograms of fentanyl should have been at least sleepy -- and with fuzziness for memory of the event.

I wonder if perhaps the IV itself was not even working.

This is because the serious drug interaction with Nardil and fentanyl is not related to inactivation of the drug's effects -- but a rare but potentially serious complication called serotonin syndrome (which wasn't the case here).

Regardless -- the fact that you have had narcotics in the past (that have worked for you) suggests this is not a genetic insensitivity to the medication.

So, I really question if those medications actually got into your system, or if the IV line itself may not have been working or was "inflitrated" (in your skin, but not actually in a vein).