Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

non specific st and t wave abnormality and abnormal ekg

i had an ekg done and it said sinus tachycardia and also stated non specific st and t wave abnormality and abnormal ekg. can you explain what this means
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear sdf,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

what are your symptoms?

what is the heart rate?

is there any st-t wave depression or elevation?

did you consult a doctor yet?

do you have chest pain?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i get palpitaions and at night especially my heart pounds like its going to come out my chest. my sitting heart rate at the ekg was 108 but ca go up to the 150's. not sure about st-t wave depresssion or elevation. i just know my wave goes down by the base line. i went to a cardiologist to get this ekg done for clearance for invega a new med and she told me i was in a grey area and couldnt tell me whether to take or not take the med. i get chest pain occassionally. i was told back in 1993 that i have svt because i kept gettting chest pain then and collapssed a couple of times but only have had a few chest pains since.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear sdf,

Thank you for the information,

The ekg shows that you have sinus tachycardia that means your heart rate is more than normal.The normal resting heart rate is between 60-100 bpm and yours is slightly higher than the normal range.

The non-specific st-t wave changes may be caused by various causes like anxiety, electrolyte imbalance, ischaemic heart disease, pancreatitis, hypothyroidism, etc.

You should have relevant investigations done like coronary angiography, serum electrolytes, 2d echo of heart, serum cortisol levels, thyroid profile to know the associated abnormality after consulting your doctor/cardiologist.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.You should also monitor your blood pressure and if high start the antihypertensive therapy.The beta blockers like propranolol may be helpful in controlling the heart rate.

Here is the link for more information

causes of non-specific st-t wave changes

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!