Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience

i have been feeling unbalanced in my head

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

For how long are you having these problems?

When do you get unbalanced feeling most often?

What do you think brings it on?

How long does the unbalanced feeling lasts? Have you fallen down anytime?

Any associated nausea / vomiting?

Any head/ neck injury?

Any recent illness?

Does this light headed feeling comes while you are feeling unbalanced?

Are you taking any medicines/ OTC drugs/ alcohol/ herbal preparations/ etc?

Any ear infection/ surgery?

Any other symptoms?

Any other medical issues/ significant history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for almost 6 months but it is getting worse

normally once i get up and shower i feel latley that it start in the morning and get bad later on during the day while i am sitting in the office

i work on the computer (travel agent) and i set alot in front of it

before it would last for 10 min but latley it is hours

i feel nausea and feel like i want to throw up but nothing is coming out

mri showed i have disc hernition in my nick but dr doesnot think it is assoicaited with it and was sent to therapy and it does feel good while therapy but it comes back, I had 10 sessions

yes id do get light headed while i feel unbalanced neve fell down and no head injery had test done on ears but a specilasit and all normal

i feel fatigue but every thing is fine

i had a catherization and it turned out fine (my simptoms for it are still the same that i fell up till know

i fell nump when i use toilet and my two fingers the last 2 feel nump pain is in my left arm

no meds

Thanks.

Is there any feeling of pressure in your ear (s)?

Is there any sensation of fullness in your ear (s)

Any ringing in your ear (s)?

Has your blood sugar levels been checked while you are having this unbalanced feeling?

Has it helped you if you eat something?

Are you eating poorly?

Have you increased / started indulging in consumption of alcohol/ illicit drugs/ etc?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just alittle and by the way my hearing sometimes is not clear

i donot understand 2nd question

yes ifeel some one is wistling in my ear

my blood sugar get checked when i go to dr office and today it was diffrent numbers in each arms 97/70 117/70

i am eating poorly

and after i eat i feel ok but then later it comes back

no alcohol or druges

Thanks for the additional details. Having gone through your descriptions, I feel that since you have already been examined thoroughly for any intracranial problem with a CT and MRI, and nothing has been found to be abnormal, it is perhaps not related to the brain.

Now since you have mentioned that you have a feeling of someone whistling in your ears (tinnitus), and that you have nausea but nothing comes out, and that you a feeling of a little pressure in your ear, and also that sometimes your hearing is not clear, these symptoms of unsteadiness (unbalanced) and lightheadedness are therefore related to an ear problem, although it might have been checked and cleared by an ENT specialist. Perhaps your symptoms would not be so marked/ severe so that it might have missed out.

The numbness in fingers is perhaps because of a pinched nerve in your neck. It would do you good if you could get it checked up as well.

Notwithstanding, I think that it would do you good if you could recheck with the same or with some other ENT specialist and get your ears examined thoroughly including some tests for the inner ear. I think that the following possibilities should be explored/ ruled out:

(a) Labyrinthitis

(b) Meniere’s Disease

(c) BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo)

Having said that, I think once you check in with your doctors, they would be checking your sugar profile as well. It would do you good if you could start eating better, as maybe a low sugar level at times would be aggravating this issue.

I hope that it helps. Best wishes. Kindly feel free to enquire if you have any remaining concerns or doubts and it would be my privilege to try helping you as much as I can.

Edited by Dr. Chauhan on 11/13/2009 at 5:59 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so is this it i donot feel that it is because of my ear but i will follow up with another dr about it

thank you so much for your time

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
DearCustomer
Hello.Do you get pain in the neck/stiffness in the neck with difficulty in turning the neck?Any blockage in the ears?Any areas of numbness over the face /neck?Your problem may be secondary to your Cervical Radiculopathy and also due to Vestibular Neuritis/Cochlear problems.Cervical spine conditions have been associated with severe vertigo/Balance problems.Since your ENT checkup and CT/MRI SCAN brain has revealed no Labrynthitis/Vestibular dysfunction or CNS lesion,the cause would probably be of Cervical spine origin.You need to consult a Neurosurgeon/Spine specialist who can analyse your problem and guide you further.Probably conservative therapy will help you out.Isometrics,flexibility exercises,Progressive resistance training,home exercise programme apart from NSAIDs,muscle relaxants and other drugs will help out.

Edited by Vakul Aren on 11/13/2009 at 6:40 AM EST