Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician
Experience:  13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.
23307758

My knees hurt when i stand up. I am stiff in the legs and makes

Customer Question

My knees hurt when i stand up. I am stiff in the legs and makes it difficult to walk. I am no longer able to bend down
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 7 years ago.

Have you had any other tests like an X ray for this ?

Do you have any history of previous knee injury ?

Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes I have had a Magnetic Resonacia - My knee was operated on in three years ago - six months later bang,. I stated with all this stiffness in my legs. My thumbs hurt as well.

I am so fed up as I don´t know why.

My legs feel weak , I cannot walk down stairs.

This stiffness and pain can be from an Osteo-Arthritis, that is an age related wear and tear of the knee joints that would cause this pain and stiffness.

You need to see an Orthopedist and consider treatments like Steroid injections in your knee joint and physical therapy for gradual mobilization of your knees that would reduce the stiffness and make you mobile.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don´t agree. I have tried injections and why would I have this in my other knee. I was perfectly ok before i was operated on
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.
have you seen a rheumatologist for this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have and my blood test results do not show RA. or athritis. What else can it be? Some days it goes away and other days its as if my legs are heavy and stiff.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 7 years ago.

Amara-

Clasically, if you have problems with stairs in theface of no significant finding on MRI,

You may very well have simple overuse syndrome- can be called "jumper's knee" or "runner's knee, even if you don't do much jumping or running!!!

It sounds to me like Patellofemoral Syndrome.

This can be easily checkd by you, because most people with this:

1) have flat feet or arches that fall when they stand

2) crunching under the patella when you move

3) Significant pain with stairs as you do

4) and my favorite: Look at the sole of your shoes, and if your shoes show a lt of wearing out of the outer aspect of the sole (at the heel) this is easy to figure out!!!

Here is a site on this problem:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chondromalacia-patella/DS00777

5 tings help this problem:

1) antiinflammatory meds (ibuprofen 600 3x a day)

2) soft arch supports in your shoes (Spenco is the best and can be found at any foot locker)

3) Stretching and strengthening exercises-

4) Taping of the knee called McConnell taping

5) A knee stability sleeve, with the circle cutout over the patella.

If all of this fails, you can have other ortho surgery to stabilize the knee and patella- but you don't want this unless necessary. If your shoes are worn like I escribed, you can purchase sneakers with "pronation control" at any specialty shoe store- Foot Locker, Lady's Foor Locker, etc.

This problem, like arthritis will worsen with cold, damp weather.

But- if your MRI does not show significantfindings- I have sometimes requested a "sunrise" xray of the knees. Chec in with your doc- there are definitely other possibilities such as this VERY common problem.

I hope this was helpful!!!

Good luck, and be good to your knees! I will be happy to answer anything else you need about this.

Experience: 13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.