Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

How do I fix a broken thumb w/o having to spend money I dont

How do I fix a broken thumb w/o having to spend money I don't have at a doctors office.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Hi, it will take 6 weeks for a broken thumb to heal. If the fracture involves a joint, then you should see an orthopedist and get it xrayed. It could heal badly and very limit the function of the thumb.
If you are against seeing a doc, then wear the splint for 6 weeks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The joint is the part of my thumb affected. I can't bend it forward or really at all w/o excrutiating pain. If I went to the doctor and get it xrayed wouldn't they just splint it or would they do something different.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
They will splint it. What is important is where the break is and what tendons are involved. Sometimes it can be casted, and other times the thumb needs surgery. When the joint is involved, it's more serious as without proper treatment, you can lose function and mobilitly in the thumb.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How long can I wait to see if it will heal itself before I should see a doctor. I really don't have the funds to see one at this time.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
The thumb should be evaluated with a couple of days after the fracture. The longer you wait, the poorer the outcome. Only time will tell how much damage there may be and loss of function.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Its been about 4-5 days since I hurt it. It is still very swollen and painful.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
AS I've said, you need to see a hand orthopedist as it sounds like you may end up with a frozen thumb that won't bend. That will affect the function of your hand. The thumb is the most important finger.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have anyone you can refer me to in Austin, Texas?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
I don't know doctors there, but find a hand surgeon. Call one of the hospitals for a reference.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Have a good evening!
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
best of luck.