Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician
Experience:  13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.

Painful sores or cyst-like pimples in my nose.

I have painful sores or cyst like pimples in my nose. I keep getting them. It's been about 3-4 months since I keep getting them. I also have sinuses. I feel pain when the outside and surrounding areas are are touched. Where the cysts are on inside of my nose are, there's swelling on outside.They really hurt!! When they scab up, the scabs become large.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 6 years ago.

This is actually a very common thing-

Furnuculosis or nasal carbuncles they are called.

The inner lower aspect of the nose is full o bacteria, but sometimes staph bugs grow too fast and furious to cope with!

The secret is:

1) Making sure these are not MRSA related- the resistant staph bug. A simple nasal swab can tell us this, and I highly recommend it.

2 Sometimes this is best dealt with by taking acourse of oral antibiotics, and then using an antibacterial cream on the inside to prevent them from regrowing.

3) You want to get in the habit of using nasal saline drops to help irrigate bacteria from the area.

4) Warm compresses to the area will help them drain/shrink

5) No picking the nose or at the scabs...this worsens it totally

6) They commonly arise out of hair follicles, so careful nasal hair grooming is important.

Here is a website for further info:

So make an appointment, warm compresses and topical bacitracin will help in the meantime. But you need o be seen to get this thing under control.

All my best-

Feel free to ask anything else