Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain

I have complete collapse of stomache muscles post operative.

I have complete collapse of stomache muscles post operative. Can anything be done to correct this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 4 years ago.
What was the surgery, and can you more fully describe your problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had 17 surgeries on the abdomen. The last was last year. The incision was from navel to groin. A few months later the abdomen started to protrude. It continued and now it hangs out about six inches. Diameter is about eight inches. I am 5' 10" and weigh 180 pounds. Was active and in shape (workouts and tennis) until I have ureter cancer and 2 years later bladder cancer in 1998 and 2000.. since then haven't had the energy to work out.
Has an abdominoplasty--surgery to remove excess skin and place a mesh--been suggested?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The surgeon who did the recent operation didn't name the correctional surgery but he just said it was a very difficult surgery. I believe he said my heart stopped during this last surgery. I also have back problems so I have started wearing a brace for that and it does keep the protrusion somewhat restrained. I don't think he wanted to operate again.
Well, if your anterior abdominal muscles have atrophied to the point where there's no good tissue to pull together and suture without undue tension on the suture line, the only other option is suturing a mesh into the area of muscle depletion. This would solve the protrusion problem. If it's felt that you would be at too much risk to have a surgical procedure performed, the best news I can give you is that a large abdominal hernia is not dangerous, and, which a well-fitted brace, you should be able to be active in all types or exercise except, perhaps, sit-ups. Nothing short of surgery can be done for your problem to correct it.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain