Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.
15267337

I have a rattling in my chest when I breath. I have recently

Customer Question

I have a rattling in my chest when I breath. I have recently gone through treatment for bronchitis and the flu. I also hurts near my hear when I in-hale. What is wrong?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

For how long are you having these problems?

Are you taking any medicines now?

Do you have wheeze?

Any history of allergy or asthma?

Any discharge from the ears? Do they feel blocked and heavy?

Any other symptoms?

Any other medical issues/significant history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I started the cough a few weeks ago, then I got the flu. I went to my doctor and he said that I had bronchitus. He listened to my breathing and he said there was not rattling in the lungs, but now I wonder if that is what I am feeling. I am still taking a cough suppresent prescribed by my doctor. There is some wheezing, especially if I am lieing down or am a little out of breath. I have had a slight case of asthma since childhood. There is no problem with my ears. The sharp pain around the heart area is the only other sympton, along with the cough.

Thanks for the additional details. Having gone through your description, it seems that following the flu, and then you also have a history of childhood asthma, we might be dealing with

• Increased airway reactivity
  • Costochondritis

Having said that, it would be best if you could check in with your doctor for this and get examined thoroughly so that a diagnosis can be established and appropriate management can be instituted. I am sure that your doctor would also be looking at the possibility of Pericarditis/ Pleuritis (as you have pain around your heart).

I hope that it helps. Best wishes. Kindly feel free to enquire if you have any remaining concerns or doubts and it would be my privilege to try helping you as much as I can.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there the possibility that I am suffering from phnemonia (spelling may be wrong). I thought that the antibiotics that I took for the bronchitus would of kept that from happening?

Thanks. Yes, the symptoms could also relate to some extent with pneumonia. However, the rattling in your chest on breathing points more in favor of an airway reactivity. That said, I think that unless checked up, the exact problem will not be known.

Please have a look at this web resource which provides authentic nformation on pneumonia:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pneumonia/DS00135/DSECTION=symptoms

I think it helps. Best wishes.