Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have sharp needle like pain in my upper leg when I stand

I have sharp needle like pain in my upper leg when I stand for a long period of time. It goes away when I sit.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 years ago.
1) Lumbar Disc prolapse/ Lumbar spondylosis
It is a common cause of bilateral pain in both thigh alongwith numbness as your symptoms can be indicative of nerve entrapment. However,it can occur unilaterally due to entrapment of nerves on only one side what is commonly termed as sciatica.What happens is the disc between the bones of the spine prolapses and compresses on the nerves leading to backache, numbness and thigh pain. MRI spine can easily diagnose this condition

2) Meralagia Parasthetica
This is a condition in which there is thigh pain which increases on standing for a time or sitting up for a long period of time....it is due to entrapment of a nerve known as the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve . It can be due to obesity or tying the belt too tight at the waist. treatment is with certain medication of surgery

3) Spinal Stenosis
This is due to narrowing of the spinal canal in which there is pain in the thighs or whole leg which is aggravated by walking and relieved by taking rest and bending forward...or sitting. It can be diagnosed with a MRI spine

I would suggest a complete physical as it would yield several new findings which would be helpful. I hope this answers your question, in case of more queries please let me know