Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have severe stomach pain. Feels like pins and needles. Hurts

I have severe stomach pain. Feels like pins and needles. Hurts more when I sit down. No fever, some vomiting, no appitite. Pepto does not help and neither does "gas x"
Shall I put a heating pad on my stomach? I recently buryed my son. I think this is nerves, but it hurts to much.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Sorry to hear about your son. Is this problem in an acute onset? Do you have any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No diarrhea. Did have a small bowl movement this morning. It came on suddenly after I had some chicken noodle soup yesterday. Some times I get the chills
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like you have it beginning of a viral gastroenteritis. This may also be a stress gastritis which is causing irritation to your stomach and vomiting. Take over-the-counter Prilosec as directed and Mylanta two tablespoons one hour after meals and at bedtime.

You most likely have a viral gastroenteritis, which is a viral infection ( most often caused by norovirus in adults ) of the stomach and intestines. This may cause nausea, vomiting, and an upset stomach. It may also cause lower abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Viral infections of the G.I. tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections may last up to one week. It is most important during this illness that you maintain hydration. You must drink plenty of fluids. Clear fluids such as clear juices, the syrup juice from canned fruit, or electrolyte drinks (ie. Gatorade) are best. Also Jello and broth may be taken. Do this until you stop vomiting. If you are hungry then you may eat toast, plain rice, or crackers. Then you may progress to the BRAT diet (banana, rice,applesauce, Toast ).To treat the nausea and vomiting or upset stomach, if present, you may ask your doctor for Compazine. For diarrhea you may take over-the-counter Imodium or Lomotil as long as no toxin or bacterial infection is suspected. If your symptoms persist for longer then a week or if you develop high fevers or have bloody diarrhea you must see your doctor immediately. While you are sick try to maintain good hygiene with careful handwashing and not sharing your personal items with others as this is how this infection is spread. I hope you feel better.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would it be wrong to put the heating pad or a hot water bottle on my stomach?
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
not at all if it makes you feel better, this will do no harm.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.