Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Hi, Do Potassium pills make you pee more or less i understand

Hi, Do Potassium pills make you pee more or less? i understand they effect your kidneys in some way -- but don't know how? Janet
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Which pill are you on?
Are you on a diuretic also? (water pill)?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I am on a water pill or high-blood pressure pill--hydrochlorothiazide--25 mg or under neath it saya Apo-Hydro

Just came from the doctor's today and had my potassium pills with me but have temporarily missplaced them, do you want me to keep looking for them

janet

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
No, you don't need to keep looking for them.

The potassium pill itself does not affect urination (it does not make you urinate more or less). Your doctor put you on the potassium because of the hydrochlorothiazide, which can deplete your body of potassium.

It is the hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) that works on the kidneys and ends up making you urinate a bit more (although there are stronger water pills, such as lasix, that increase urination much more than what you are on now).

The HCTZ works by increasing the amount of salt and water that the kidneys remove from the body. The salt and water is removed through your urine (therefore you urinate more). By removing the salt and water, your blood pressure is decreased.

I hope that this makes sense and answers your question for you. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!