Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

I have a pulled muscle under my breast ;it feels like a knife

I have a pulled muscle under my breast ;it feels like a knife cutting me can't take a deep breathe
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.
Did you have trauma? For example were you coughing or sneezing strenuously?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I breed dogs and doing heavy lifting all and bending alot the pain is under left breast was gettig better now it hurts agian.I cough and sneezing some today and it hurt so bad and lift one of my dogs his weigh was 12pds.
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.
The first and most important thing to do in this case is to make certain this pain is not of cardiac origin. If there is any doubt in your mind that may not have a muscular origin certainly you must go to the emergency room to have your cardiac status cleared. Assuming that it is not cardiac in origin and is in fact muscular, then you are doing the right thing by taking analgesics. Also you may want to put moist warm soaks to that area which will tend to take out some of the spasm in the muscle that is causing pain. The danger with having severe pain upon deep breathing is that your lungs will not expand normally in that area and you may develop what is called atelectasis which is an area of the lung which does not expand in the place that is painful. This can lead to infection over a period of time. If the painkillers and warm soaks do not relieve the pain and you still have trouble taking a deep inspiration and you should see your doctor for stronger medication so that you do not develop any complications.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.