Dr.Brown, Doctor
Experience:  Family Practice

I have a strange sensation on my tongue which I have had for

I have a strange sensation on my tongue which I have had for 2 years now. It first developed when I thought I had taken too many aspirin because of headaches. The headaches have subsided over the 2 years and I stopped taking the Asprin tabs. My mouth at night is always very dry. I now find the roof of my mouth has started to feel cool and aches. I have been to my GP who referred me to a ENT surgeon at a local hospital but on consultation was told my mouth looked normal and I just had to deal with it. Do you have any other suggestions what it could be?
Hi I will be answering your question for you. I would like to ask you a few things first to get more information

1) Do you have any medical problems and do you take any medications
2) Do you have any other symptoms that you remember that also developed over the last couple years ?
3) would you say that you are producing enough saliva ?
4) Has the problem stayed the same or has it worsened ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In reply to your message I detail below:-

1. No medical problems and no medication being taken. 2. I experienced some heartburn before the tingly strange sensation started. I remember telling the SpR I worked with (iam the secretary) and he did a helicobacter test which was negative. No other symptom over the last 2 years. I told me dentist about it also and he could not help. 3. Yes producing enough saliva. 4. Feels the same but not enjoying the cold feeling now in my mouth and the roof of my mouth aches slightly. It is just a complete irritation and something I would like to solve. Thank you for your help.

thanks for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure it can be very irritating. This is definitely a strange symptom you are experiencing but I'm sure you are not the first.

There are many nerves and blood vessels supplying the palate and I can imagine if they get irritated in any way it could affect sensations in the mouth. That would a possibility. Another possibility would be hormonal so I would suggest that you have your doctor do a comprehensive workup to check your hormone levels in your blood. I would also advise you to take a referrel from your doctor for going to an ENT specialist

Hope this helps and I hope that you get better soon.