Experience:  dasdasd

Pain radiating form the left leg (upper side near buttocks)

Pain radiating form the left leg (upper side near buttocks) down to the back of knee and down through the left side of calf. The lower back does not hurt. If touched at the site near the tailbone, pain is sharp.
Pain sharp when standing from sitting position and then dull pain in leg area described above.
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 6 years ago.
When you touch the sore spot, does the pain radiate down your leg?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. When I press the sore spot--either on my lower back (or tailbone) or my leg, the pain does not begin or radiate down my leg.
Expert:  tazechip replied 6 years ago.
Have you had X-Rays and/or MRI's of your back?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, at the Chiropracters about 2 weeks ago.

She said that the x-rays did not show the "discs" being compressed (the good news). She seemed to be concentrating in that area where the "sciatic" nerve is found in the lower portion of my back and trying to stretch "something"...The nerve inflamed?

The back of the knee area was somewhat swollen...that is why I was given the anti-inflammatory medication.

Expert:  tazechip replied 6 years ago.
Well, this could be standard sciatica, but you might also have a herniated disk that wouldn't show on plain X-Rays. If chiropractic therapy is ineffective, I'd suggest the MRI. If it's just sciatica, a cortisone injection at the origin of the sciatic nerve might afford relief.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is "standard sciatica" and would this pain come about slowly...say over a period of a week or longer? What is a "herniated disk?

What is the best thing to do if one's job is to sit in front of a computer for 8-10 hours? What are other potential factors that cause both conditions?

Expert:  tazechip replied 6 years ago.
The sciatic nerve exits from the pelvis in the mid buttocks and travels down the back of the leg. If this nerve is pinched at its exit, that's sciatica, and it can occur out of the blue. It would be aggravated by sitting. A herniated disk is one that has broken open allowing the soft center to ooze out and possibly press on a nerve root, causing much the same symptoms, but without necessarily producing tender areas in the back. Using a donut cushion at work might help sciatica, but not necessarily a herniated disk.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just one more question.....what type of doctor would I need to see for an MRI and for the cortozone shot?
Expert:  tazechip replied 6 years ago.
Any physician could order the MRI. If your primary care doctor won't give you the shot, an orthopedic surgeon or a physiatrist could.