Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.

I am 52 years old, I have had muddy stool for over a month

I am 52 years old, I have had muddy stool for over a month now, which is causing me a very sore anus. I can hardly use toilet paper anymore due to how sensitive it is now after all the cleaning it takes after a bowel movement. I have know cramping and know blood and I do not feel ill. This just seem to start out of the blue. Can you help me to stop this from happening and start having a normal bowel movement.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for your question.

You may be aware that IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is one such condition which can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps and sometimes blood in stool. Check this link.

Only lomotil is not going to be helpful and you will have to take a course of antibiotics to control any intestinal infection. For example, you can take antibiotics containing tinidazole or metronidazole. You should also take probiotics (good bacteria) like lactobacillus to improve the bacterial status of the intestine.

You should consult a gastroenterologist for further evaluation. You should also maintain your hydration status by taking plenty of fluids, electrolytes, fuits and vegetables.

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button.
I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.