Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My ear hurts when I touch it. Hearing is muffled. Why?

My inner ear hurts and outside of my ear is tender to touch and hearing is muffled.

How long has this been going on?
Is the tenderness over the part of the ear that covers the opening of the ear?
Are you having any fever?
Drainage from the ear?
Did the pain increase after trying to flush the ear?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For about 4 days, around the ear where ear connects to head and flesh around ear canal is tender. No fever, no drainage, no dizziness. Yes pain increased after trying flush.

Thank you for the additional information.
It sounds like you may be developing an outer ear infection (infection of the ear canal), which is also known as swimmer's ear. This infection tends to develop under moist conditions or if there has been a break in the skin of the canal (trauma from flushing of the ear can cause breakdown of the skin).
The infection can become very painful very quickly. If you find that the pain is intolerable, you may need to go to an urgent care or the emergency room today.
Otherwise you will need to see your doctor tomorrow. Antibiotic/steroid drops are the treatment for the infection (unless it is that point oral antibiotics are used instead).
I would recommend leaving the ear alone. Take ibuprofen for the pain until you can see your doctor. Avoid getting any water in the ear.
The other possibility is simply that the ear canal is irritated without infection from the flushing and impacted wax. The wax impaction may need to be removed by your doctor at this point (or an ENT). Either way, the ear needs to be left alone until examined.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.