Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

Are personality changes common after major surgery My friend

Are personality changes common after major surgery? My friend Sharon and I have both been involved for over 3 years in exclusive relationships with men (senior citizens)who recently had surgery for abdominal aneurisms about 6 months ago. Both men have returned to normal activities, such as golf and sex, and have no other health issues, with the exception of high blood pressure which is controlled by medication. Sharon's friend has become much more positive, less critical, more appreciative of her and everything else in life and much more laid back in general. My friend has become much more negative, critical and prone to minor outbursts at the slightest provocation, such as a car cutting in front of him.

My happy-go-lucky boyfriend is becoming a cranky old man. Sharon's boyfriend has become a mellow fellow. Has there been any reaseach regarding personality changes in surgery patients who have recovered to resume a full and active lifestyle?

Thanks for you help.

Barb Swenson
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello

There is data about mood changes with bypass surgery post myocardial infarction(MI in lay man terms heart attack).

The data suggests that many patients post by pass surgery have personality and mood changes like depression,which is beem evaluated by a psychiatrist.The data suggests that major depression develops in almost 20 percent of patients after MI, while over 33 percent have significant symptoms of depression soon after an MI.
You can ask your physician to print you the latest data about it from uptodate website which is most reliable source of information used by mostly all physicians in USA.
I am mentioning you the information of the article for your referrence.
Psychosocial and other social factors in acute myocardial infarction
Author
Geoffrey H Tofler, MD
Section Editor
Bernard J Gersh, MB, ChB, DPhil, FRCP
Deputy Editor
Gordon M Saperia, MD, FACC

Last literature review version 17.2: May 2009
Wish you best of health and happiness.
Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.